Fox’s highly-anticipated new singing competition show, “The Masked Singer,” debuted last night. Hosted by Nick Cannon, twelve undercover celebs compete head-to-head in song in front of a live studio audience and a panel of celeb judges: Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong and Nicole Scherzinger. The thing is, the contestants are all in elaborate costumes.
With their true identity up for the judges and viewers to guess - we are given hints/clues - they’re revealed when they’re eliminated. Here are this season’s “masked singers”:
- The Peacock kicked off the show, singing “The Greatest Show” from “The Greatest Showman.” The character is teased as someone who is “a show-off” when they perform...and that they were once friends with Michael Jackson. The performance? Kind of amazing. Clue review: Male, started performing at a young age, loves the spotlight, close friends with Michael Jackson, plays piano, has a small ceramic dog, very Las Vegas, impressive voice, was part of a magic act. Noted, "It's probably been a while since your mom had a poster of me on her bedroom wall."
- The Hippo was up next, competing with a rendition of “My Prerogative” by Bobby Brown. The teaser suggests that The Hippo is a director, and clues refer to dancing a little too much - even getting in trouble for it. While the performance wasn't disappointing...it's clear that this person isn't a professional singer. Clue review: Male,
- The Monster hit the stage next, singing “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen. According to the teaser, The Monster is “two for 12” - and while we can't figure out what that means...it IS interesting to note that they said they stepped away from the spotlight for a while and that perhaps, there was jail time involved. Solid performance. Clue review: Male, he's a monster because that's what the world labeled him, here to rewrite his mixtape to prove that he's more than just "puff and fluff," was at the top of his game but the game turned on him so he retreated into a cave to take a break from the public eye, now here to set the record straight to show the world that no one can stop him, says he's not a professional singer "to everyone."
- The Unicorn was up next to face off with The Monster, singing “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten. The Unicorn is teased as having been “a girl scout” - not the best voice, but not bad...she said that she sees this show as a chance to show people who she really is. Clue review: Born in Beverly Hills and should have had a magical childhood, dreamt of singing but someone she admired called her tone-deaf, people always told her she wasn't good enough, wants to prove that you can be yourself, and all you have to do is believe. "They call me Bird."
- The Deer was next, singing “Thunder” by Imagine Dragons. The teaser says that if you want to find the deer, “you should head east bound and down.” Clue review: 6'3", Chose the deer because they're incredibly competitive, always considered himself a singer but not sure anyone else would agree, says it's hard for people to get past who he is and what he's known for, he's been knocked down fifty times, but in the Wild Wild West you learn how to get up and get back in the saddle, likes horses, had to wrap his antlers in medical tape. He also said "Ravens beware," and had to "take the fifth" when the panel asked if he played in the NFL.
- Finally, The Lion hit the stage… and seriously upstaged everyone else - even the Peacock - with her pipes on “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” by Fergie. The Lion is described in her teaser as being “more than whispers and fake news.” But also? She noted that she comes from "a pride of women" and that she's basically been dismissed as having any talent. Clue review: Some might say she's "Hollywood royalty," but she's her own person who's stepping away from her pride to sing her heart out, says there are "lots of women" in her pride
In the end, the judges voted on the bottom three would - that came down to The Hippo, The Deer, and The Monster...and The Hippo was eliminated. Who was it? Pittsburgh Steelers Antonio Brown! But fans are mostly dying to know who The Peacock and Lion are… especiallyfreaking out about who the Lion could be. People are guessing everyone from Lady Gaga to Carrie Underwood to Jordin Sparks.