It’s official - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - aka the newly minted Duke and Duchess of Sussex - are finally married. It’s been quite a trip to the altar, but it's in the rear view and they did it in front of 600 guests at Windsor Castle on Saturday morning. Coverage began here in the States at the wee hours of the morning and in case you missed anything, here’s a look back at everything that happened from the dress to the iconic first kiss.
- At around 5am ET/10am local time - celebrity guests began to arrive a St. George’s Chapel. Oprah Winfrey was one of the first to arrive along with Idris Elba and his fiancé, Sabrina Dhowre. Later, more big names rolled in to the castle including David and Victoria Backham, Georgeand Amal Clooney, Stella McCartney, Serena Williams, Priyanka Chopra, James Corden and of course, all of Meghan's "Suits" castmates (including Patrick J. Adams, Gina Torres, Sarah Rafferty, Gabriel Macht, Rick Hoffman, and Abigail Spencer).
- Among the guests were Harry’s ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy and Cressida Bonas, but don’t worry they’re all still friends. Harry and Chelsy, born in Zimbabwe, met in Africa during his gap year in 2004. They were on and off again for seven years, but she didn’t like the media attention so they called it quits. She says they’ll “always be good friends” (apparently so). Cressida, also an actress, also a descendant of King Charles II, dated Harry for two years after Chelsy.
- Soon Meghan’s Rolls Royce had departed from Cliveden House hotel and more of the royal family began to arrive including the man of the hour Prince Harry and his man of the hour Prince William. Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland and Prince Charles and Camilla arrived separately shortly after, and Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip later arrived together of course. Kate Middleton and Meghan's bestie Jessica Mulroney arrived with the bridesmaids and page boys just before the bride.
- When Meghan arrived - albeit, about 20 minutes late - she stepped out in her custom made Givenchy designed by Brit designer Clare Waight Keller (first female Artistic Director at the French fashion house) Choosing to enter the church and walk the knave (sort of like a lobby) on her own, she was met at the entry to the choir (that's the main sanctuary) by Prince Charles, who she asked to step in when her father couldn't.
- Once standing before her prince, Meghan was greeted by him biting his lower lip and saying, “You look amazing.” She sweetly replied "thank you" and he add, "I’m so lucky.” Her simple bouquet included flowers handpicked by Harry and sprig of myrtle...more on those in a minute.
- And what about that show-stealing sermon from Bishop Michael Curry? Or that amazing performance of “Stand By Me” from the Kingdom Choir? The ceremony also saw Princess Diana’s sister Lady Jane Fellowes read from the Song of Solomon.
- Then it was official - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were sealed. Before exiting St. George's the hymn, "Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer," which also played at Princess Diana’s funeral, was offered in tribute to her. Harry even shed a couple tears. They took their first public kiss on the stairs in front of fans with their family right behind them as "Amen/This Little Light Of Mine" was sung by the choir. And then, they did it again.
- After that - and before the first afternoon reception, the couple rode through Windsor in an open horse and carriage to greet the tens of thousands there cheering them on.
- Now about those flowers...turns out, Caroline Stanbury - a friend of Harry and William and star of Bravo’s “Ladies of London” - noted via Twitter that the flowers, which included Diana's favorite forget-me-nots - had an added personal touch. Harry handpicked them for his bride out of his mother's garden.
- As expected, Meghan’s dad Thomas Markle wasn't there. But he spoke out about the event with a heartfelt message offered via “TMZ.”Saying he “will always regret not being able to be there," he added that he loves her and that he texted her some well-wishes for her special day. He also had a message for the rest of his chatty family - we're especially looking at you Samantha Markle: "Now I pray that Harry and Meghan can go on a nice honeymoon and rest and relax, and all of my relatives will just shut up about everything."
- ONE MORE THING! The Twitterverse was positively freaking out that Meghan didn't curtsy to Queen Elizabeth after the deal was sealed. She totally did - the cameras just didn't show it properly.
- For the details on the parties that followed, CLICK HERE.
This made me cry 😢 pic.twitter.com/5np489cDnB— Caroline Stanbury (@C_Stanbury) May 19, 2018