No matter what your Halloween plans look like this year, you can still enjoy the best thing the holiday has to offer: candy. And when you’re sitting back with your kid’s plastic jack-o-lantern, sifting through for your favorite mini treats, you’ll probably want to sip on a nice glass of wine. And to help you find the perfect pairings, here are pointers from Vivino’s Halloween candy and wine matchmaker.
- Hershey’s and Syrah- You need a wine that’s “powerful, but light on its feet” to go with straight milk chocolate. A red like a Syrah with flavors of black pepper and black fruit will do it.
- Kit Kats and Pinot Noir- Want to make the milk chocolate and wafer combo of a Kit Kat taste like a chocolate-dipped raspberry? Try it with a glass of a Pinot Noir from Sonoma Coast.
- Reese’s Pumpkins and Gamay- The unique fermentation process used in the grapes for this red wine gives it a wild cherry jam aroma that pairs perfectly with peanut butter and chocolate. PB & J fans, this is for you.
- M&M’s and Port- Author of “The Wine Bible,”Karen MacNeil, describes this pairing: “The dark, sweet, black fig and dried fruit character of Port is a great counterpoint to the milk chocolate in M&M’s.” And that crunchy candy shell also complements this red wine.
- Skittles and Sauvignon Blanc- The fruity flavors of the Skittles are balanced by the tropical fruits in this white wine, ideally a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
- Snickers and Cabernet Sauvignon- The intense flavor combo of peanut, caramel and nougat needs a wine strong enough to keep it from being overpowered, and the tannin and fruit in a Cab Sav makes it the one.