There are plenty of people who have phobias about certain things, whether it’s spiders, the outdoors, etc. But it turns out some phobias are more common in certain parts of the country than others, and a new report reveals the biggest fears of each state.
- The new report is based on Google search metrics.
- The most common fear appears to be Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, a fear of long words, which is the most common fear in 18 states, including Alaska, California, Colorado and Florida.
- Just behind that is Philophobia, a fear of falling in love and getting into relationships, the most common fearin 11 states, including Georgia, Hawaii, Arkansas and more.
- And nine states, including Illinois, Kansas and Mississippi, suffer from Somniphobia, the fear surrounding the thought of going to bed.
- The most common fear in the world is Agoraphobia, the fear of public spaces, crowds, etc, with 61.67% of all countries reporting it as their most searched for phobia.
Other interesting state phobias include:
- Nomophobia – fear of being without your phone, common in New York, Oregon, Virginia and Tennessee.
- Megalophobia – fear of large things, common in Wyoming, Kentucky and Delaware.
- Ephebiphobia – fear of teenagers, common in Arizona, and Indiana.